Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Front Door Update


Living in the mountains at 6,500 feet is rough on the exterior of a house to say the least. The snow build up and melt tends to make for quite a few Spring and Summer "must dos." Unfortunately with this summer jam-packed with baseball, our house took a back seat. As I was putting away the Halloween decorations and cleaning up the porch, this is what I noticed:
 Yikes! Peeling paint on the frame of the front door! As a designer, artist and lover of all things PRETTY, let alone a good neighbor, I could not have this! I immediately decided I must squeeze in an outdoor project in November....quite risky this time of year! I could have simply gotten my brown exterior paint out of storage and touched up the frame, however, that would have been too easy, I am a designer, artist and lover of all things PRETTY so I decided we needed a fresh new look.

Off to Home Depot I went in search of the perfect barn door, rustic, mountainous (is that even a word?) RED for the front door. Yep, I decided to go big or go home! Red it had to be..but not any red, mind you. I found exactly what I was looking for in Behr Paint's Cinnamon Cherry. It was love at first swatch!!
I purchased a quart in the exterior option of course, as well as, a quart of primer. Now to enlist my husband in the venture as I knew time was NOT on our side. Lucky for us, the weekend weather was in the 50's...not to shabby so we began.
First Step: Tape & Prime

You can tell it's a pretty fall day by the sunshine
We needed to let the primer dry overnight since we didn't finish till afternoon and since it was technically a wee bit chilly. Little did we know we would wake up to this!
Are you kidding me?!
Well it is November, after all! The front door sat primed and ready to go for a week while the snow came and went. I was beginning to wonder if my front door was going to look like that all winter when we had a warm spell. HOORAY! We quickly began to paint!
My faithful hubby & DIY expert helping me out!
It took a few coats and some patience but here is my beautiful front door! As you notice I can't ever seem to get a shot of the door/porch without a bright spot on the bottom of the picture from the sun...ARGGHH!! The end result was exactly as I had imagined. I am in LOVE!

TA DA! 

A comparison...what do you guys think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips