Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Quick & Easy Monogram Gift

I love anything and everything monogrammed. From coffee cups like this one found at Target:

I am lucky enough to have J for my first and last name!
 to giant carry all bags, like this one from Buckethead betties!

I use it all the time when taking the fellas to the pool

With Christmas fast approaching and the budget disappearing just as fast, I was brainstorming for cute gift ideas when I spotted the cardboard letters at Hobby Lobby. I bought a J (of course!) and started playing around. Here is what I ended up with:

A rustic monogram plaque that can be used inside or outside for a quick bit of classic decor! Cute, huh?
To make one of these you'll need some scrap wood or purchase some in the scrap bin at Home Depot (I used leftover 1X2's) some handy dandy Gorilla Glue, the cardboard letter of your choice, glitter (if you so desire), paint and a wee bit of burlap.

line the edges of boards with gorilla glue

Place in a vice or clamp of some sort till dry



While your boards are drying, paint your letter. You can choose any color...I wanted a monochromatic look so I used the FolkArt Metallic Paint:

After the boards are dry, you can paint them as well. Since mine were already brown, I opted to just brush on a bit of cream paint to give dimension and a distressed look when sanded. I used my hand sanded lightly over the front and around the edges.


As I've mentioned in previous posts, I love glitter....so I did a quick pass with the spray adhesive and used my favorite Martha Stewart glitter for a quick dusting:


Then I used glued on the J and wrapped a bit of burlap ribbon at the bottom!
A cute easy, inexpensive gift for neighbors, cousins, teachers, etc!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips