Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Spicing Up the Pantry Door

What is a girl to do with left over red paint from her front door? Paint her pantry door of course! I have been seeing all kinds of fabulous pantry door makeovers like this one from Clarendon Lane, and all the fabulous examples found on Remodelaholic! It's hard to narrow it down to just one, but I think two of my favorites can be found at House of Smith's and No. 2 Pencil....simple, yet beautiful.
Enough daydreaming.....
First step trimming out all the panels
....time to put brush to door! After putting on the first coat, I immediately knew that the white trim HAD TO GO! As you'll soon see, one design DIY always leads to another with me. My husband seems to think this is a problem, I think it's just the way a woman's Designer's mind works! So we cut the caulk bead around the trim and used a crow bar to slowly pull off the white trim.

 The white just didn't blend well with the red door and the wall color. And besides I've wanted the white gone since we moved in......just not a very rustic look.  In order to achieve the look I was after without breaking the bank, I decided to use 1X4's easily purchased at Home Depot for about $2 each.

new trim layout
After playing with the layout I decided I liked the look of a bit of an apron on the header. This look is very common in rustic home decor and since we live in the mountains I thought it was appropriate. After deciding on the layout we simply nailed the 1X4's where the old frame was. After all was in place I stained the new trim with Minwax Dark Walnut, the same stain as my wood floors.


I love the rustic feel the dark trim gives
I think this really highlights Mr. Moose

I am glad I finally took the plunge and updated my pantry door! Do you have a door you've been wanting to paint a fun color? (by the way, notice the white railing and white basement door? Yep! Those will be gone soon too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips