Thursday, November 21, 2013

Thanksgiving Pumpkin Decoration

Hi all! I love love love to decorate with pumpkins and get sad when they magically disappear after Halloween so I thought I would make my own to have throughout Thanksgiving. I started with some scraps of 4X4 that we had leftover from building our fence.
Pretty plain and simple. Since they were already stained brown from the fence, I started by painting them. I used my trusty acrylic paints to begin the pumpkin look.
I used Delta Ceramcoat in Tangerine & Dark Goldenrod. The tangerine is the darker of the two. I brushed it on first using a foam brush and then layered the dark goldenrod over the top. Then I left them to dry. Next I used my hand sander to distress the edges. I love my hand sander for small, easy projects.
You can pick one of these up at Home Depot.
Distressed edges

Your sanding/distressing doesn't need to be perfect.....the less perfect the better in my humble opinion! Once the edges were distressed to my satisfaction, I took a look.....and decided they needed some holiday bling...otherwise known as GLITTER! I adore glitter!! 

I sprayed each "pumpkin" with Krylon Spray Adhesive first, then generously dusted with my all time favorite glitter, Martha Steward Crafts Glitter in Fire Opal. I love this glitter because it is very fine, (a little goes a long way) and it sparkles like no other. You can find this at Michael's or Hobby Lobby. It is very difficult to take a picture of glitter and have it show up, especially in the sun, but I did my best.
you can see the glitter a bit in the sun

I promise these are super sparkly....you'll have to trust me.Now they need some stems and some raffia to complete the look. I used scrap 2X2's, cut to various lengths, and painted them Hunter Green by Delta Ceramcoat and sanded the edges just a bit.
Before I added the raffia...they look naked
Finished Thanksgiving Pumpkins!  What is your favorite decoration for Thanksgiving?
(P.S. you can finally see the glitter!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips